Col. David M. Castaneda is the commander of the 482nd Fighter Wing, Homestead Air Reserve Base, Fla. As Wing Commander, he is directly responsible for overall management of the installation, to include a squadron of 29 F-16C/D aircraft. His leadership span of control encompasses over 2,500 Airmen, including 165 active duty Air Force active association personnel; more than 1,700 traditional reservists, over 280 Air Reserve Technicians and over 280 full-time civilians. Additionally, he oversees the seamless integration of 11 tenant units to include the Florida Air National Guard, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, U.S. Coast Guard Maritime Safety and Security Team, Headquarters Special Operations Command South and a geographically separated detachment of 35 Airmen at Shaw Air Force Base, S.C.
He was commissioned in 1993 after graduating from the U.S. Air Force Academy. After serving on active duty, he joined the Air Force Reserve in 1999. He has served in multiple leadership capacities at both headquarters and wing level.
Colonel Castaneda is a command pilot with more than 2,600 hours in the F-16 and F-35. He has more than 550 combat hours and has served in Operations Freedom Sentinel, Resolute Support, Iraqi Freedom, Enduring Freedom, Southern Watch, and Noble Eagle. Colonel Castaneda returned from his most recent combat deployment in May 2015.
1993 Bachelor of Science, Space Operations, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1997 Master’s degree in Business Administration, Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles, Calif.
1998 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2006 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2007 Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2011 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2013 Advanced Joint Professional Military Education II, Joint Forces Staff College, Va.
2014 Reserve Component National Security Course, Fort McNair, Washington D.C.
June 1993 - June 1996, Project Manager, Titan Program Office, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
- June 1996 - January 1999, Project Manager, DSCS Program Office, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
- January 1999 - January 2000, student, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
- January 2000 - May 2000, student, Fighter Lead-In Course, Randolph AFB, Texas
- May 2000 - December 2000, student, F-16C FTU, Luke AFB, Ariz.
- January 2001 - June 2005, Assistant Chief, Weapons and Tactics, 466 FS, Hill AFB, Utah
- June 2005 - June 2006, Chief, Flight Safety, 419 FW, Hill AFB, Utah
- January 2007 - July 2007, Chief, Weapons and Tactics, 466 FS, Hill AFB, Utah
- July 2007 - December 2007, student, Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
- January 2008 - January 2009, Chief, Wing Weapons, 419 FW, Hill AFB, Utah
- January 2009 - May 2010, Flight Commander, Wing Weapons, 419 FW, Hill AFB, Utah
- May 2010 – January 2012, Director of Operations and special assistant to commander, 466 FS, Hill AFB, Utah
- January 2012 – January 2014, Commander and special assistant to commander, 419 OSF, Hill AFB, Utah
- January 2014 – June 2015, Commander, 466th Fighter Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
- June 2015 – January 2016, special assistant to the commander, 419 FW, Hill AFB, Utah
- January 2016 – June 2016, Deputy Commander, 419th Operations Group, Hill AFB, Utah
- June 2016 – March 2018, Commander, 419th Operations Group, Hill AFB, Utah
- April 2018 – April 2019, Reserve Advisor, Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, Headquarters United States Air Force, Pentagon, Va.
- April 2019 – July 2020, Chief, Combat Air Force Requirements Division, Directorate for Operational Capability Requirements, Headquarters United States Air Force, Pentagon, Va.
- August 2020 – present, Commander, 482nd Fighter Wing, Homestead ARB, Fla.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: 3,000+
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, F-16C/D, F-35
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with eight oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with 3 oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 1993
First Lieutenant June 1995
Captain June 1997
Major March 2003
Lieutenant Colonel March 2010
Colonel March 2016
(Current as of August 2020)